Saturday, October 18, 2008

Army Tents

Army tents are some of the most complicated things on the plant. These tents are big and heavy to sum it up. When my dad asked me to help him I thought setting up a tent was a quick and simple thing. First you take it out of the bag. Then you put the stakes through it and into the ground. And last you grab the poles and stick them up through the tent. Army tents are a lot more complex. If I did a step by step explanation I would have enough words to last a couple years. This tent took two days to set up. It took us from the start of Thursday during the fall break to dusk on Friday. This tent was big, heavy, and complex.
My Dad got this tent from a military surplus store known to us as Smith and Edwards (side note here: This store is about the coolest store ever. It has every little doohickey Invented, If you can find it). Don’t ask me why he got it, I’m not sure I even know myself.
The tent is huge. Just to give you an idea to how big it is when it is folded up the bed of his truck was packed over where it should have been. He unloaded it and it took the place of his truck in the garage. When this thing is set up you can easily fit one or two cars in it. This thing is humongous.
Complex can hardly describe it. This tent has pins, levers, weird joints, and other nameless items. It still confuses how we got it up.
This is hardly a description of it. You really need to see it to understand it. So with this in mind I will post pictures as soon as I can. But It is late so I’m going to bed.

No comments: