Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hard book

Most books I have read in my life were books that you don't really need to be paying attention to one hundred percent of the time. I could let my eyes skim over the words, more scanning than it was reading, and still understand the book enough to score perfectly on the A.R. test. This is how most of the reading has been in my life, until now. Here is the scene: I was at my piano teachers house (while my bro was having his lesson) sitting on the couch. I was listening to my tunes, feeling sort of board. Then I remember the book that I brought along for this exact moment. This book happens to be a novel by Charles Dickens. The title of that novel is A Tale of Two Cites. As I start to open the cover I remember the words of our very wise Honors English teacher.
(quote) "Dickens demands your complete attention, so this is a very different sort of reading than most of you are accustomed to. You can't read Dickens while you are watching TV or listening to the stereo; your full attention must be on the words."
Have you ever noticed that the people that take exception to things are usually the ones that need it the most? This was definitely true in my case. Here is the stuff going on in my head. "Hmmm. The tale of two cities. It was the best of ti...... I like this song!....... There was a king with a large jaw and a....... There was a king with a large jaw- wait. Didn't I already read that? Yep the line before says the exact same thing. No not the plain and fair part." (I look up from the book about here) "Darn. You can't do something else while you are reading this book."
So I take out the ear buds and try again by starting over. This time wasn't much better. The piano playing in the back ground was still to much for me. So I shut the book and put starting it off till another time.
Dickens really does need your full attention.

No comments: