Monday, November 10, 2008

The Play

As many of you know Rhapsody recently put on a play. The play we did this year was the Twelve Dancing Princesses. Every one that is in this class had a part in the play. This year we have 42 people (8 basses, 13 tenors, 11 altos, and 10 sopranos) in rhapsody and we had to fit everyone in. I happened to get Guard #6 (the script only calls for two guards.) and I had an awesome time. My fellow guards and I saw a ton of stage, and we only had a few lines. We had just about the best parts in the play. One positive addition we had in our parts was that our characters were dumb guards. The only lines that we had in the entire play were the almost exact lines from the dumb guard scene in Monte Python and the Holy Grail. All we did from then on was stand in the back ground and hold still. So if you can't see already I had a lot of fun. I didn't just have a fun time doing the play, I also had a fun time preparing for it. We started preparing for the play about 2 months ago (almost the same time school started). Here is a outline of what we did.
The first thing we had to do was cast the parts. If you wanted a big role than you could come after school one day and try out. The Friday after that we had a "party" at the school where we were told what parts we would do, watched the performance of play that rhapsody did somewhere around 6 years ago, and filled our selves with silly with junk food. At school we were given a script and a copy of the songs that were in the play. If you had lines, you had to learn them on your own. We had to learn the 4 major songs first because we had a concert that we had to sing at. After we had perfected our songs and sung at the concert we started to set up the scenery and block the scenes. It was a major pig pen from then on and I was almost surprised that we were able to pull of the play. But we did it and we had a fun time. The first time we ran threw the play that is meant to be a hour and a half show was on the Saturday before the first performance. It took us 6 hours to do it. That put the fire under our butts and we were able to do it in only 2 and a half hours the night before the real thing. Everyone must have worked really hard or become very religious because we did the real thing the first time in an hour and forty-five minutes. We all had a lot of fun and we got better every night. And finally the play was over. Right after the play on Saturday, we had a way fun cast part. Except for the fact that they didn't tell some people about it, including me. But that is OK, because every party has a pooper and that is why they didn't invite me. Not really thought, I just left too soon so I didn't here about it. But now it's over and I think I like acting in plays so I might try out for the school musical now. But that is another story.

No comments: